Monday 30 March 2009

Kent Bodgers

Went down to Capstone Farm Country Park yesterday to attend a meeting of the Kent branch of the Association of Pole Lathe Turners & Green Woodworkers. The Country Park is in Gillingham where I was born and brought up - so returning to my old stamping ground.


This is Kristian who organised the event and who has also arranged for me to run a Weekend Workshop there on 18th & 19th April. There may be a couple of places still available - contact Kristian directly :- mob 07941805820 email kristian2002@blueyonder.co.uk

Some interesting drilling techniques emerged . . . this looks like a good one. I'm really sick of drilling 1 3/4" holes for stool legs through 2" thick Ash, Beech, Elm etc with a brace and bit. Unfortunately I didn't get the make of this bit of kit - anyone else have experience of them ??

John Burbage showing some lateral thinking here. He uses long augers with hexagonal shanks and turns them with a socket and bar.

Drove up to Moira on the Leicestershire/Derbyshire borders on Saturday to look at a litter of puppies. This is the little chap we've chosen and we'll be collecting him in a couple of weeks.
I think I'm going to call him Jed.

*

4 comments:

Seanhellman said...

I like the idea of using a ratchet with an hex shank auger bit, I am finding that my usual sources for bits for the brace are drying up. I know a cleft chestnut worker who uses these engine driven drills they are made by the likes of Still and Husquarna, He swears by them, he also uses a 12 volt battery with a cordless drill, just connect some wires to the battery connections in your drill and you can drill for ever, well nearly.
Sean

Robin Fawcett said...

Thanks for the feedback Sean.
I've had a look around and it seems that the maximum size for drilling wood is 1". I prefer mine 1 1/4" or 1 1/2"
Maybe this would be a good new thread on the Forum . . . How small is strong enough !?

Robin Fawcett said...

PS. Sean
Your website looks excellent - I've only just cottoned on to your blog.
The more we can link the better.

Robin Fawcett said...

This comment from Peter Jameson via email -

"Hi Robin have they improved this fencing contractors gate hanging tool
or when the bit jams in the wood does it still try and break your
wrist, bus your gut, spin you off your feet, or a combernation of all 3
? as you can see i am not a fan of this type of tool a eye auger and
tommy bar takes longer and more effort but you are garenteed to be able
to drive of site and lift a pint pot afterwards.
Regards Peter the charcoal"