Monday 4 April 2011

Too busy to Blog

So much has happened in the week since we ran our first courses at our Greenwood Camp that I haven't had the time or inclination to make any posts.

It always amazes me that people with no previous experience can come and spend a day mastering new techniques well enough to make things like these...
2 spurtles and a honey drizzler in Elder
I always remember my first attempt on a pole lathe was to make the long pin to hold the frame onto a shave horse.  I struggled to control the tools to make nice cuts and the finished pin looked dreadful.  But it works and I still have it and show it to the novices.
It was good to use Elder which actually came from our land.  In my opinion a much underrated wood which is surrounded by ancient superstitions.  It takes a very nice cut and is quite hard when it dries - I use it a lot for making spoons.


No comments: