Thursday 8 March 2018

MOST EXPENSIVE LOG I'VE SEEN!

WOOD HUNTING

I'm always on the lookout for new timber sources and you never know when they'll turn up.  I got home the other day to find someone had left me with some good lengths of sycamore - very nice and thank you to whoever it was.  I've just had an offer of some laburnum which is very welcome and it's coming all the way from the Borders down to Essex at the end of the month.  So you'll gather from this that I usually get my wood for free. 
So onto the details of the most expensive log.  Now I didn't actually see this most expensive log for myself but my wife did.  She's very sharp on the profit margins and is excellent at adding value to bits of stick so she can spot a bargain at fifty paces and smell out a scam from fifty miles.  She took this pic of said expensive log whilst in France with her sister at the end of February in the picturesque town of Lesneven in Brittany.  I've been there in the past and it's full of interesting shops & nooks & crannies and the French equivalent of county ladies who like to lunch.  The photo is slightly odd due to multiple mirrors giving odd reflections but you can see it's only about 16inches high & 8inch diameter with a dinky little 'maker's' label inserted in a handy split and the price is 235 Euros!!!! She did make some purchases in the shop but this one she thought was rip off of the year so far... 
This is an interesting hillside near to Callac called the Valle des Saints and the plan is to have 250 statues by 2025.  There are 150 at the moment and they make a mystical sight in the distance.   All carved by different Masons in Residence on of my favourites is a Green Man Hunter.  All quite breathtaking and I can't quite believe how much the hillside has changed since I was last there.  I'm very interested in stone carving even though it's some years since I last traded in the tools of the stone carver.  They always look at first glance to be similar to those of a woodworker but are quite different.  Perhaps one day I'll get to speak with them as they work their sparkling granite and watch them work their magic on this stunning local stone...
  

No comments: