Friday 29 April 2011

Violin Making

I recently went to a talk about violin making at the local turners club.  There is no turning involved in violin making but everyone who came seemed more interested than usual.  Did you know that the curve of the back of a violin is a catenary curve? and that the best hair for bows comes from Mongolia?

Christopher Beament, who was taught violin making by his mother, is obviously a master of his craft and repairs, makes and teaches in Cambridge.  See his website.

I used to play the fiddle when I was younger but unfortunately when I broke my left wrist it wasn't set correctly and it's now agony to try and play for any length of time.  I do still play the mandolin which has the same tuning.

1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

There used to be an old gentleman in town who made beautiful violins - and he was completely blind!